Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I'd love to live without it

There's a thing beneath my chest
That never lies because it never speaks
Some say it speaks
But not I
I say it thumps and aches
And thumps and aches
Thumps and aches
Thump
Ache
Then the corners of my mouth give way to gravity
Salt water soon flows down the skin on my face
And I know what it is to stop breathing
That thing, that monster underneath my ribcage
Is screaming
Like those stupid blondes in old movies
Who say nothing, but scream
It's high-pitched, don't you think?
Too high
So my discovery:
There's a shrieking, girly monster
Somewhere in my chest
I think it's on the left side

1 comment:

Brooke Fontoura said...

I really like this. The imagery in the poem is the kind I really enjoy - it's obvious because it's real but still poetic.

I feel for you, lovely. I feel and understand you more than you'll know.